What we've got going on for students at St Helen's
Welcome to the student section of the St Helen’s website. We love welcoming students to the church family and have the privilege of serving and being served by students from numerous universities in London. If you're just arriving, you're particularly welcome. Why not come and join us at one of our weekly events, and get in touch so that we can look out for you.
Check out the information below for more of what we have going on for students, and please drop in any time to say hello!
Our aim as a church family is to bring glory to God in everything that we do and in all that we are. We want to know Jesus Christ and we long to make Him known, in London and around the world. With a big number of students joining us, we’re particularly committed to helping you maximise your time at Uni, helping you to grow in your love of the Lord Jesus, and equipping you to live the rest of your life for Him. As we gather in small groups, or as a whole church family to hear God speak to us in His Word, the Bible, and to speak to Him in prayer, we’re built up to serve Him in our local church setting and out into the world.
As well as all that we put on for students, we’re really keen to be served by you. God has given all Christians gifts to serve the church with, and we’re constantly served by students like you in a whole range of ways across the church family.
So what does that look like?
There are a number of times when students in the church family get together, including:
- Sunday 6pm – most students join us for our regular Sunday evening meeting with a chance to sing and pray together, and hear from God’s word, the Bible. Afterwards we head over to a nearby church building for “Student suppers” – a chance to eat and chat together around tables, and enjoy a seminar on another topic that’s helpful for us as Christian students to think through.
- Midweek small groups – we meet at 7:15pm every Wednesday during term time to eat and study the Bible together in smaller groups of 8–12. If British culture is a bit unusual or English isn’t your first language, we’ve also got Bible study groups for International students that meet in a nearby church building.
- Lots of students also get the opportunity to read the Bible one to one and pray together with one of the older members of the church family, and to be involved in prayer triplets.
We also encourage students to be involved in Christian Unions at their own university, to take advantage of the opportunity to reach their campus with the good news of Jesus.
Aside from the regular week-by-week activities, we have a number of particular events laid on for students during the course of the year. (Click here for more information)
- Student welcome - we hope you feel welcome joining St Helen's any time of year, but we're particularly looking out for students at the start of the academic year (in late September / October) with various events to help them feel welcome. The Student Welcome Party this year is on 28 September in St Andrew's Church.
- Late October “Home” conference – a weekend of talks and activities based in and around St Helen’s to help us think through some of the essentials of the Christian life, known by long-termers as The Essential Mix. This is an especially great way to find out more about us as a church.
- New Year “Away” conference (TASC) – a great way to start the new year with a long weekend away, getting some distance from London to get to know each other, hear God speaking in the Bible, and enjoy the great outdoors (or indoors, if that’s your thing!)!
- Lads/girls day – a Saturday in February (this year it's 25th) for guys and girls to get together separately for fun and teaching on a particular topic. More information to come!
- Mission – we encourage students to be involved in the annual London-wide week of events that help others to hear about Jesus, and we also run our own events at various points throughout the year. There’s other chances to be involved in mission further afield – in this country and abroad. Why not come along to find out more?
That’s what we’ve got lined up for specifically for students, but in addition to that we have monthly prayer suppers where we meet as a whole church family to pray; we run evangelistic courses to give others the chance to come and meet Jesus in the Bible; there’s outreach to a local council estate and a prison ministry; and loads of other ways in which students can join the rest of the church family in service of the Lord Jesus.
Check out the rest of the website for more!
If you’ve got any questions about what goes on at St Helen’s, please drop us an e-mail at email@example.com
If you want to get to know the team better, why not click here for our staff gallery, which includes Student Minister, Charlie Skrine.